Monday, July 16, 2007

Suck a duck

It's almost six years since we went to pick the dog up as a 12 week old pup, with us, in the back of the car we took a furry toy, a duck, so that she wouldn't miss her mum ! It came complete with authentic quack, she was too small to activate the quack by biting the toy but she soon learnt that bashing it on the floor she could cause a very satisfactory quack.

That toy is still her favourite but is now a bald duck, all the fur chewed off and most of the origional stuffing, including the quacker, eaten. Much repaired and re-stuffed she will still bash it on the floor in search of a long lost quack but what she does is to hold it between her front paws and suck it like a baby will a dummy. This is what she was doing last night out on the gravel in front of the house just before I took her out for a late night pee.

Bit later than usual and the street lights went out at midnight (their usual time) so on the way back we only had the glow from the house lights to see by. I thought I'll pick up the duck and put it in the dry in case it rains. So I picked up this darker shape on the gravel to throw it under the front porch, My scream of surprise, caused the dog to bolt and hide in the barn and the dark shape to give a loud hiss and curl up, me? I just dropped the bloody hedgehog!

No comments: