Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Meeting Dennis

I've met this other old fart called Dennis, of course this being france it's pronounced Don-ny; we were both invited to lunch at Claude et Fabiennes house down in the town. I'd first met Claude a few years back when he helped install the swimming pool; since then he et Fabienne have popped in from time to time so that he can put coke in my best malt whisky ! ! Still I get my own back when I'm down there by not putting coke in his cheap supermarket own brand whisky.

They'd passed by the house (as they say) during the week to invite me for the Saturday, bringing their grandaughter with them and had explained to me that she was not academically gifted but was very good with horses and wanted to work with them. Both she and and this other old fart who was introduced as Dennis, were there when I arrived.

My dog is a gold-en-re-triev-er and she will nearly always pick up a stone or stick and carry it back to the car at the end of our morning walks. By amazing co-incidence, that saturday, as we neared the car I turned and saw that the dog had found and was carrying a riding crop, which I just left in the boot with the rest of the debris she'd collected. When I got to their house at lunch time with the dog in the boot of the car, I saw the little girl there, so I put the crop in the dogs mouth and took it over to her saying "my dog has brought you a pressy".

This stupid little bit of theatre created a sensation, there were tears,cheek kissing (and that was only the blokes!) hand shakes and back slapping. This also prompted Dennis to invite me to pass by his house. No great effort (in theory) as I stand on my back terrace on top of the ridge and look down into the valley and the village in which he lives; chances are I can probably see his house from there!

It was agreed by all present that this would be a jolly wheeze, he is practically housebound, hobbling arround on 2 sticks following operations on a broken hip and would appreciate the company whilst I need to practice my french,they tell me, much more than I do. So the reason for this, is committing to print that I WILL VISIT HIM TOMORROW !

No comments: