Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Global Warming

It may have been noticed that I flit back and forward to the UK fairly frequently. These days I allways use one of the budget airlines because these are so easily available and cheap. Previously I travelled by car and ferry.

Envirementalists probably would frown on my current contribution to Global Warming, but they don't know the half of it.

This largely unknown area of France centres on the town of Tarbes, which prides itself on two local products. One is the black pig, which is a bit like those asian pot-bellied pigs, the other is "Tarbaise" beans. This latter is a large white haricot bean which is prepared with carrots and a light tomatoe sauce and preserved in goose greese (I shall try to append the actual recipe later).
Unfortuneately, as with everything these days, a cheaper supply is taking over and they are now being shipped in from Argentina. Lower in cost but at the expense of considerable air or sea miles which contributes to Global Warming !

I share part of the guilt by eating these things, with great relish, this I have to conceed to the environmentalists; but they dont know the half of it!

These beans have a serious effect on my digestive tract, seemingly much worse than any other type of bean, causing copious amounts of pungent methane gas to be ejected, Which is probably a greater threat to the ozone layer than all the air/sea miles racked up in getting the raw materials to my plate.

No comments: